His Promise (The Amish of Hart County #6)

Title:  His Promise (The Amish of Hart County #6)

Author:  Shelley Shepard Gray

Pages:  338 (ARC)

Year:  2018

Publisher:  Avon Inspire

My rating is 4 out of 5 stars.

John Michael Miller is an Amish firefighter.  He loves his job serving his local community with his fellow Englishers.  He has a sense of purpose and his job fulfills his desire to help others.  When he keeps bumping into Grace King, his old attraction for her comes roaring back.  He initially met her when he was courting her sister.  As he spent more time at their family home, trying to get to know Grace’s sister, he found himself wanting to spend more time with Grace.  He abruptly ended his courtship with her sister when he realized there was no future relationship when he felt so about Grace.  Her sister was upset about the breakup, and John Michael has kept his distance from the whole family for three years.  Now, his contact with Grace and the danger she encounters triggers his protectiveness and awakens his old feelings for her.  He also wants to catch whomever is setting fires in various locations.

Grace King has her own pet-sitting business, which has done quite well.  She is now dog-sitting for a wealthy couple who is out of town for two weeks.  The house is right next door to the Miller family home.  Grace bumps into John Michael while searching for her runaway dog.  They are awkward around each other at first, but as they continue to talk and spend time together Grace’s crush on John Michael is renewed.  She kept her feelings of years past to herself as he was courting her sister, but now both are single.  Her sister is interested in someone else.  Can she and John Michael possible have a future?  First, however, Grace needs to find out who has broken into her temporary home and why.

The story was slow at the beginning and didn’t have much action, but the pace did pick up.  I liked seeing John Michael protective of Grace and his unselfishness.  I also liked seeing the Amish and Englishers working together as a firefighting team.  I have enjoyed this entire series.  Some characters were more likeable than others and some stood out more than others, but the main characters in each book faced situations in life that required them to lean on God and learn of His faithfulness in doing what was best.