Freedom's Light

Author:  Colleen Coble

Pages:  320

Year:  2018

Publisher:  Thomas Nelson

My rating is 4 out of 5 stars.

Hannah Thomas is a young, 18-year-old woman who has been married for a year to a man twenty years her senior.  She married him to escape the unwanted advances of Galen, a childhood friend who she no longer considers to be a friend.  John is a lighthouse keeper but quickly enlists in the Continental Army and leaves Hannah to tend the two lighthouses.  He is one of the first to be killed as a spy.  Hannah doesn’t believe he was a spy, but nevertheless she is now a widow.  She invites her younger sister, Lydia, to stay with her for a while.  Lydia arrives, but has her eye on any man in a red coat serving in the English military.  She longs to wed an Englishman, move to England and enjoy English society.  This will cause trouble for Hannah in the future.

Birch Meredith poses as an English privateer, supplying English troops with supplies.  He, however, has an ulterior motive.  He is looking for the man who killed his brother, so that he can exact his own retribution.  He is secretly serving General Washington as a spy.  His ship runs aground on the rocks close to Hannah’s lighthouse.  She takes care of him while his broken leg heals.  Their conversations are stimulating but she and he will never have a future as he is a Tory and she is loyal to the colonies.  Hannah then makes a discovery that could change her life.

For me, Colleen Coble has a style of writing that is easy to engage with, allows me to learn something new and gives me something to think about.  This novel is no exception.  Hannah and Birch dance around the issue of trust, politics and faith, which makes for an interesting relationship and one I was involved with while reading.  Vengeance also plays a large role in the story as a motivation for more than one character’s actions.  The Revolutionary War, which is the setting for this novel, is one period of time that I find vastly interesting, so I also liked that aspect of the story.  The conflict between family members regarding their support of England or the colonies was realistic.  Grab a copy for yourself and take a journey to colonial America.