Ours for a Season

Author:  Kim Vogel Sawyer

Pages:  338 (ARC)

Year:  2018

Publisher:  Waterbrook

My rating is 4 out of 5 stars.

Marty and Brooke have been friends since grade school, but for the last several years they have communicated by letters as Brooke moved to Kansas City and Marty lives in Indiana.  Marty is Mennonite while Brooke is agnostic.  Marty is grieving the loss of a child and a future without the hope of having another child of her own.  Her husband, Anthony, owns a construction business and travels to various cities often.  He is trying to escape the mournful face of his wife as it has been over two years since the news of infertility was delivered to them after he suffered through a case of mumps.  He has grieved the loss of their unborn child but trusts God to help him through the loss.  He and Marty have grown apart emotionally, physically and spiritually.  They no longer pray together, and only share mundane conversations when necessary.  Then, a letter arrives from Brooke addressed to both that they must open together.  What’s in the letter will change the direction of their lives.

Brooke Spalding has been a feisty woman all her life.  She is ambitious and has done well financially.  Her latest project has received investor money to bring an old ghost town back to life as a resort.  Brooke knows just the man she wants in charge of renovations…Anthony Hirschler.  Brooke hopes he will agree to head up the construction team and bring Marty along so the two of them can be together away from their community to heal their marriage.  They agree to come, which turns out to be fortunate for Brooke when she receives some alarming news from her doctor.

While the story was interesting, the pace was a bit slow for me.  That is the only negative I have for this heartfelt story of loss, redemption, reconciliation and acceptance.  The three main characters were likeable and expressed realistic emotions.  The deep friendship between Brooke and Marty was so touching!  I loved the idea of taking a ghost town and bringing it back to life, restoring the old crumbling buildings to their original sheen.  This author’s stories always have something unique and interesting about them.  I look forward to her next novel as I know her books are always worth reading.