Dead Drift (Chesapeake Valor #4)

Title:  Dead Drift (Chesapeake Valor #4)

Author:  Dani Pettrey

Pages:  304

Year:  2018

Publisher:  Bethany House Publishers

My rating is 5 out of 5 stars.

Luke Gallagher left his friends and his country seven years ago.  They never heard from him and had no idea where he was or if he was alive.  Now, he has suddenly reappeared in their lives.  They discover he has been working undercover for the CIA all this time.  He now is tracking an evil man the same one he has been chasing for seven years.  This man has a terrorist plot that will kill thousands if not millions, and Luke must stop him.  Luke also has plans to apologize to Katie for leaving her high and dry with no word, breaking her heart.  Luke dreams of a lifetime with Katie but knows he doesn’t stand a chance of getting back into her good graces.  He will do whatever it takes though to keep her safe.

Katie Maxwell has never given up on her search for Luke.  She has mad computer skills and contacts and has put them to good use.  She has discovered Luke is still alive but doesn’t know where he is or what he is up to.  She works as a private investigator now.  Luke appears out of nowhere and barges back in to Katie’s life.  She still loves him but refuses to make herself vulnerable by allowing him to know that.  Did God bring Luke back into her life permanently, or is he just here to stop a terrorist and will leave again?

This fourth and final novel in the Chesapeake Valor centers around Katie and Luke’s story.  There is also an interesting side story featuring Finley and Griffin.  I would recommend reading the novels in order as the story of Luke and his disappearance from the Tree House Gang member’s lives is mentioned.  The excitement and action in this story are riveting.  I liked Luke’s character as he made a huge personal sacrifice for his country, although he thought it a selfish adventure.  Even through dangerous and turbulent times, he kept his faith in God.