A Contradiction to His Pride

Pages:  422

Year:  2018

Publisher:  Self-published

My rating:  5 out of 5 stars

This novel is a sequel to Leaving Independence written by the same author.  Reading these novels set on the Oregon Trail in the late 1800s was pure joy and excitement.  I was amazed as well as mesmerized by the action, danger and how quickly life could be lost as depicted in the stories.  Here, the settlers from the wagon train we met in the first book are now trying to establish their town and lives when a bank robbery turns the characters’ lives in a tither.

During the grieving Corrine experiences after losing a dear friend, she is also wrestling with being a grown up and handling a less than the picture-perfect life she once held dear.  A couple of the characters from the town are hunting bank robbers as well as going after James and his group to let them know danger is on their heels.  Life is very precarious in these days and the author does an excellent job of showing readers that as well as how a community can come together to rejoice in good times.

I think these novels will be enjoyed by those who love history, westerns, well-crafted, lifelike characters and a riveting plot!  The climax scene was just pulling me further into the book and the ending, I believe, leaves room for a sequel with these characters later in life and time.  I can’t say enough about the enjoyment I had reading the books and hope others will soon grab copies, lose themselves in the tales then share them with other readers, family or friends.

Don’t wait to get your books as these are too good to wait!

Note:  I received a complimentary copy for an honest review of this book.  The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility.

Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/.  Also follow me on Twitter@lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457