Formula of Deception

Author:  Carrie Stuart Parks

Pages:  310

Year:  2018

Publisher:  Thomas Nelson

My rating is 5 out of 5 stars.

Murphy Anderson may have misled the detective as to her experience working with police as a forensic artist, but she needs the money.  She has studied YouTube, so how hard can it be?  She is a good artist and puts those skills to work drawing the scene from the details given her by a dying hunter.  He claims he was hunting on a deserted island and came upon the bodies of five men.  Murphy asks key questions to help her draw the men and the one man whom the hunter remembers his face.  While at home, Murphy receives a letter telling her the man who murdered her sister has escaped jail.  She is certain he will come after her now.  Murphy works up her sketches and calls the detective the same day so they can return to the hunter to fine-tune any changes.  Upon arrival, they find disaster has struck.

Murphy now is constantly looking over her shoulder in fear.  She is taken to the deserted island where again a terrible accident occurs.  On arriving back to the mainland, she stays at the hospital waiting for her friend to regain consciousness.  Then, her home is destroyed.  She now has a job at an expensive resort as a waitress, but at least she has a place to live.  She continues digging for answers and the bodies of those involved in the investigation begin to pile up.  Murphy also keeps having the same dream or sometimes she has the dream as a flashback during the day.  Who can she trust?  What was really going on at that island?

Murphy Anderson is another stellar character from the pen of Carrie Stuart Parks.  She is so smart, talented and tuned in to the nuances of asking the right question to get the answer she needs.  She gets along well with children and instinctively knows how to gain their attention and put them at ease.  Her insight in reading people is uncanny.  She is persistent and won’t be scared off from her purpose.  She is a character, just like Carrie’s other protagonist, Gwen Marcey, who has had awful trials and situations in her life, but refuses to give up on life or people.  They both grit their teeth and press on.  I hope there are more books featuring Murphy Anderson as this one was terrific!