Loving Lieutenant Lancaster

Title:  Loving Lieutenant Lancaster

Author:  Sarah M. Eden

Pages:  256

Year:  2018

Publisher:  Covenant Communications, Inc.

My rating is 4 out of 5 stars.

Linus Lancaster has retired from his naval service at the ripe old age of 24 years of age.  Now that he is back on land, he is bored and at loose ends as to how to fill his time.  So, when an invitation to a two-week long house party in the country is received, he quickly accepts.  He knows his duty will be to keep his brother-in-law, Adam, apart from the dandified Philip.  Once he arrives, his sisters who are also in attendance, begin scheming to find Linus a wife.  Linus is not interested in the women they thrust under his nose, but he does meet someone who quickly becomes very important to him.  The host of the house party is an older woman in the aristocracy who has employed a companion, Arabella Hampton.

Arabella Hampton is overjoyed with the opportunity to return to the estate of her favorite earl.  He has since passed away, but she remembers all the times he acted kind to her and treated her like a daughter.  She has been orphaned since the age of six and has been living with an aunt and uncle who made no qualms about making it obvious to her that she wasn’t wanted by them.  Now, Arabella has the chance to escape their harsh treatment of her and be near the Jonquil family whose children she grew up with, living close by.  Arabella longs to be loved and included in a family as she has always felt invisible.  The instant Linus and Arabella meet there is a spark of attraction, but she is barely above the social status of a servant and Linus is much higher up the scale.  He won’t even consider her as a romantic interest, will he?

First, the negatives of the story in my opinion were few, but the story dragged somewhat and there wasn’t enough interaction of the two main characters.  They took forever to finally declared their love for one another.  The ending of the story was just okay as there was no real tension or big build up.  Now, the positives were the hilarious interactions between Adam and Philip, two characters from prior books.  There were definitely some laugh out loud moments.  The snappy dialogue and witty comments were excellent.  The time period is also one of my favorites as well as the English countryside descriptions.  I also liked the interaction between family members and the interesting dynamics thereof.  These books are not labeled as a series, so I didn’t realize there were other prior books.  I plan to return to those to get caught up on the background/stories of the other Lancaster and Jonquil family members.