Room on the Porch Swing (An Amish Homestead Novel)

Title:  Room on the Porch Swing (An Amish Homestead Novel)

Author:  Amy Clipston

Pages:  336

Year:  2018

Publisher:  Zondervan

My rating:  5 out of 5 stars.

The first book in the series is titled, A Place at Our Table, and now the author has shared a good tale in the sequel, Room on the Porch Swing.  Readers return to Lancaster and the Riehl’s home when two tragedies strike and change the relationships in the community.  Even though these happen, the intriguing part is how hope springs forth after a time of grieving.  Plus, Laura and Allen have questions about what they feel, and the plans being considered for future.

While parts of the story were sad, I am glad the author didn’t shy away from what is part of real life.  The fact that real people experience such deep grief helps the audience know that they can also experience the hope that renews both the heart and spirit.  The themes brought forth are impacting such as family, faith, prayer, God and living out the reality of these in life situations.

It does help to read A Place at Our Table before beginning the latest novel as the story continues right where the first book ends.  I enjoyed how the book shows that while life continues for those left behind after a loss it also highlights that love can be experienced again as well with another person.  Some may find that the book lacks high tense scenes, dramatic flair or is even predictable and while it doesn’t have suspense, tension or such, I can say it was good to sit and read a story that had hope.

I hope you will give Amy Clipston’ s novels a chance and read her other books as well.  She is one of my favorite authors.  Amy’s Amish books are the only ones I read with any consistency for the depth of characters, plot and the wonderful themes of faith throughout her books.

Note:  I received a complimentary copy for an honest review of this book.  The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility.

Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/.  Also follow me on Twitter@lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457