The Road to Magnolia Glen (A Natchez Trace Novel #2)

Title:  The Road to Magnolia Glen (A Natchez Trace Novel #2)

Author:  Pam Hillman

Pages:  448

Year:  2018

Publisher:  Tyndale House Publishers, Inc.

My rating is 5 out of 5 stars.

This second book in the Natchez Trace series is set in 1792 when Mississippi was still a territory under Spanish control.  Quinn O’Shea and two of his brothers are bound for Breeze Hill Plantation, the home of his brother Connor.  Quinn plans to get his two younger brothers settled in their new home and under Connor’s watch and then take off to see the world.  He figures he has looked after the boys for the last nine years and now it is Connor’s turn.  What Quinn didn’t plan on was running into Keira Young and her two younger sisters.  Keira is on her way to Natchez as well to marry a local businessman.  Her brother-in-law has set up the arrangement.  Keira has never met her intended, but hopes for a better life for herself and her sisters.

Upon arrival in Natchez, Keira finds that her brother-in-law has not been honest as to the true nature of the agreement between him and the man she thought she was to marry.  Quinn and two other gentlemen come to the rescue of the Young sisters and take them to Breeze Hill.  When Connor learns of their plight, he agrees to let them stay temporarily.  Keira quickly proves her willingness to work and help out around the recovering plantation.  There is plenty of work, but her younger sister Amelia spends most of her time with a young man who has been taken in to recover from a gunshot wound.  Keira and Quinn are attracted to one another, but both know Quinn is leaving soon so there will be no future together for them.  Plus, Keira still must watch out for her alleged intended’s retaliation for her leaving him.  Quinn is determined to leave after he helps Keira settle her troubles, but can he really leave the woman who has come to mean so much to him?

I love the setting and time period of this story.  I am fascinated to learn about the way people lived then and how they coped with adversity.  Keira relied on God and prayed Scripture to help achieve God’s peace.  The descriptions of the scenery and plantation life made me feel as if I could see the places and people right before me.  I am looking forward to the next novel published by this author, and she is on my watch list as an author to keep an eye out for any new publications from her pen.