Send Down The Rain

Title:  Send Down the Rain (A Novel)

Author:  Charles Martin

Pages:  352

Year:  2018

Publisher:  Thomas Nelson

My rating is 5+ out of 5 stars.

While this is a fictious story, there is some truth in how men were treated when they returned home from serving where their country sent them.  The last book I read written by Charles Martin was exceptional and this one is above and beyond Long Way Gone.  Each story he writes is a stand alone with unexpected twists and turns, characters that seem lifelike and plots that are heart-grabbing from the first page.

Send Down the Rain is set in the early 1960s.  I was a young toddler when the Vietnam War was happening, and my parents protected us form seeing the news so as not to upset us.  However, now I am older and personally want to thank all who have served and are serving and apologize for those who didn’t or don’t give you the thanks you richly deserve.

The story is about a family that a father deserts, and a mother who works her tail off to provide for her two young sons.  Her sons are each unique and different; they have their strengths and weaknesses, but like any mom she loves them both.  Joseph and Bobby grew up in California and were very close, but life tended to tear their hearts out and set their feet on two very different paths.

What Charles Martin wrote is a story of the scars of the heart each bore and the pain each carries within their souls.  Bobby handled his life one way and Joseph another, but both were destructive in their own way.  Each one affected others’ lives, and it took literally decades for the truth to come out and healing to come.  On top of that, Joe and Bobby must decide if the path to forgiveness and freedom of the heart and soul is worth the risk, high cost and possible ramifications.

Personally, Send Down the Rain will always be a favorite of mine and on my shelf to reread sometime in the future.  The novel is mainly from Joseph’s perspective and life, and it is one very gripping tale.  It isn’t really a tear jerker, at least for me, as much as a heart jerker.  The power of forgiveness, truth and love will always beat evil and its intentions bar none.  With all that is going on in the world today, this piece of fiction is well-timed.  I ask that you read it and ask others to read it as well.  While it is a work of fiction, there are nuggets of truth that will touch your heart, soul and mind for days to come!