The Heart’s Appeal (London Beginnings #2)

Title:  The Heart’s Appeal (London Beginnings #2)

Author:  Jennifer Delamere

Pages:  384

Year:  2018

Publisher:  Bethany

My rating 5 out of 5 stars.

The London Beginning series begins with the novel titled, The Captain’s Daughter.  Here, in the second book, readers get to focus on the middle sister, Julia, whose hope is to become a physician and go to Africa as a missionary.  The year is 1881 and in London women were to be home or if they wanted to do some work, there were few opportunities.  Julia is attending a school that helps women become prepared to practice medicine as a physician at a time when that field was dominated by men.  Women could become nurses and even a midwife, but becoming a doctor took perseverance and hard work.

Julia was raised with her other sisters in Bristol at the George Mueller orphanage where needs were met by asking only one Person…God.  Julia is asking God to provide the means for her to attend school and practice medicine, though Julia originally thought that being married with children was something she couldn’t have at the same time.  When she saves the life of a barrister and he wants to repay the debt, the only thing Julia asks for are lessons in Latin.  From there, the story begins to lead the audience into a deeper story that is the heart of other characters as well as their pasts.

The themes of faith, prayer, forgiveness and more are inextricably woven into the novel set in the Victorian Era.  I was drawn into the interesting brother and sister relationship of Michael and Corinna as well as the other girls desiring to become doctors at a time when it wasn’t easily accepted.  I loved the romance that was and then wasn’t growing between Julia and Michael.  The other intriguing plot line was how far a father was going to bring what he considered a wayward daughter home.  Did his way work?

Before the third book comes out I hope you read The Captain’s Daughter and then The Heart’s Appeal.  The drama is on many levels.  I couldn’t put the book down because I was touched by the story in many ways.  What a challenge to be like George Mueller, praying for my needs and watch how God would provide is but one idea I am coming away with from this series.  I wonder what you will remember about the books?  I can’t wait to hear!