Try Fear

Author:  James Scott Bell

Pages:  292

Year:  2009

Publisher:  Center Street

My rating is 5 out of 5 stars.

Ty Buchanan makes his return appearance in this third and final book of the series.  He takes the case representing a man charged with DUI.  The case looks unwinnable, but from out of nowhere Ty wins the case and gets his client freed.  Then, his client is found dead and the brother is arrested for the murder.  There is no way Ty can let this go.  He is going to find the killer no matter what or who he has to chase down.  He is also sticking his toe in the pond of faith…maybe.  His relationship with Sister Mary is going in a more than friendly direction on his part, but what about her?

During the course of his legwork, he encounters interesting and dangerous characters such as a street preacher, dirty politicians and the people who are out at night in Hollywood.  Ty still has his run-ins with Sister Hildegarde, who would rather see Ty live somewhere besides their quiet community.  Sister Mary begins receiving threatening emails and Ty is not going to allow her to be hurt.  He vows to discover who her cyber stalker is and bring him down.  Can Ty stop this stalker before Sister Mary gets hurt?  She has been helping him with his investigations.  Could she have developed her enemy this way?

I am sorry to see this series end.  Ty Buchanan is a well-liked character in my book.  He has a great sense of humor, is well-read and able to give one-line zingers with ease.  All three books were well-written and exciting.  The short chapters set a quick pace for readers and the snappy dialogue will keep them turning pages quickly to get the next dose of humor or suspense.  I read one right after another in the span of four days!  Ty’s sense of justice and being willing to defend those who had no one to defend them made him such a likable character to me.  These are the first books of this author that I have read, but they won’t be the last!  He writes with ease and his knowledge and experience as a lawyer shine through.  I plan on reading more of this author’s work in the future.  As for this series, it is going on my “keeper” shelf.