The Lost Castle

Pages:  371

Year:  2018

Publisher:  Thomas Nelson

My rating is 5 out of 5.

Ellie Carver is running out of time.  Her grandmother has dementia and her health is declining quickly.  She seems to be waiting for something though.  Ellie finds an old photograph from WWII tucked in a favorite book of her grandmother’s.  The photo leads Ellie to take a trip to France to research the photo to find out her grandmother’s history and bring closure to her.  Once in France, Ellie discovers an entirely different way of life.  There are ruins of a castle near to the manor house where Ellie is staying that seem to draw her.  Quinn, the grandson of the house’s owner, is her tour guide, but refuses to take her to the castle ruins.  Why?

Lady Vi is fluent in several languages and she joins a British underground spy organization during WWII.  She is sent undercover to Germany to work as a secretary, translating documents.  She is entrusted by a fellow agent with critical information that needs to be gotten to Great Britain that might turn the tide of the war.  On her journey, she encounters members of the French Resistance who reside near a castle.

Readers also will discover the history of the castle during the French Revolution, which presents another story of a woman searching for her place in life.  Aveline is the 19-year-old daughter of a French Baron, who has an arranged marriage to the oldest son of a duke.  Tragedy strikes in the form of a peasant mob uprising on the evening of her engagement ball with devastating results.  Aveline now wonders what her life will be like, but is also determined to survive and thrive.

Kristy Cambron deftly uses the technique of flashback to tell a poignant, romantic tale that spans times from the French Revolution, WWII to the present day.  With vivid descriptions, I felt I was right in the midst of WWII fighting with the French Resistance.  Each of the three plots are woven together seamlessly to form a complete tale that will enrapture readers.  I read the book in a day as I was so in tune with the story that all else fell to the wayside.  I also liked Kristy sharing her inspiration for the story and how she came to write it.  I eagerly look forward to her next book.  I urge readers to get a copy of the novel for themselves and get lost in a tale of romance with a touch of mystery.