The Sea Before Us (Sunrise at Normandy)

Title:  The Sea Before Us (Sunrise at Normandy)

Author:  Sarah Sundin

Pages:  384

Year:  2018

Publisher:  Revell

My rating 5 out of 5 stars!

The new series by Sarah Sundin is a heart-touching tale of events leading up to D-Day through fictional characters.  There are three brothers from Texas who are torn apart by a disaster and choices made by the oldest son Wyatt and the other sons.  I began reading the book with such hunger, knowing the tale told is but a shadow of the reality that many endured both in America and England.

The story encapsulates the hard times of war, the love stories, battles and yes even death as those were parts of the reality young men dealt with who were barely out of their teens.  Wyatt is a Navy Lt. Commander in the U. S. Navy who, though trained as an accountant and was to pick up the leadership of his father’s business, is now planning methodically with others the Navy’s plans for D-Day.

Wyatt begins to develop feelings for a WREN Officer named Dorothy who has suffered so much personal loss in her family.  What Sarah Sundin wove into the book was interesting as it included a mystery aspect of Dorothy’s father’s business losing money.  Plus, Dorothy is flailing in her walk with the Lord until Wyatt challenges her to return to church as she has challenged him to contact his family after three years of silence.

Having read the other wartime stories Sarah has offered, this new series outshines other novels set in the WWII era.  I found it easy to become enraptured with the characters and the many subplots.  Wait till you see the twist in the main plot line in the book!  I don’t know when the next book is due out, but I sure cannot wait.  The series is once again a reminder of a brave generation who endured more than we can really grasp.  I thank all vets who serve today.

When you are done reading the book, please consider reading Sarah Sundin’s other wonderful novels that are bold and invigorating!