Title:  Reading the Bible with Rabbi Jesus (How a Jewish Perspective Can Transform Your Understanding)

Author:  Lois Tverberg

Pages:  288

Year:  2018

Publisher:  Baker Books

My rating 5+ out of 5 stars.

There are many nuggets of wisdom, knowledge, along with a transparency of the author’s own walk in learning how a Jewish perspective changed her reading and walk with God!  The book is written with such simplicity that anyone can read and learn as well as further investigate what is written after each chapter.  After reading, seekers of the Lord will be able to search Scriptures listed and answer questions along with viewing a short list of other sources for going deeper in one’s understanding.  In the back of the book are listed Appendixes of Books of the Tanak, Thirty Useful Hebrew Words for Bible Study and Bible translations for Word Study.  I found these helpful as well as the pages titled Notes by Chapter and Recommended Resources.

What drew me to this book?  Well, to be honest, I want to go deeper with God.  I want to understand His Word and be able to handle it properly.  Some of the resources intimidated me as well as the thought of studying Hebrew or Greek, but then the Holy Spirit reminded me that He will show me what He wants me to do and not do.  I am one who doesn’t have the gift of languages.  However, there are other tools and resources I can use to learn many things to help deepen and broaden my view and understanding of Scripture.  There are also many tools in various mediums to help me understand the biblical language without being outside my gifts by trying to master a language.  So, don’t let anything keep you from reading the book and utilizing whatever God has for you as you draw nearer to Him; He will lead you!

I underlined and wrote in almost every chapter with such an excitement burning in my heart and desire to take the next step in understanding and knowledge.  I have also come to understand that without me being dependent on the Holy Spirit to help me, it would be a fruitless endeavor.  So, looking ahead as this 2018 year progresses, I cannot wait to see all that He has for me and be in awe of such a magnificent God in Heaven!

Will you join me?