The Empowered (A Trevor Black Novel)

Title:  The Empowered (A Trevor Black Novel)

Author:  Trevor Black

Pages:  464

Year:  2018

Publisher:  Tyndale

My rating is 5 out of 5 stars.

After reading book one titled, The Occupied, I really wasn’t sure how the author could make a sequel more thrilling, but he accomplished that and more!  The Empowered is a spine-tingling tale of the continuing encounters between Trevor Black and the unseen spiritual realm.  Beginning with the prologue and throughout the book, never is there a dull moment for readers.

The Empowered has cranked up the level of Trevor’s encounters with demons in the here and now along with showing the need for knowledge and tons of prayer on Trevor’s part.  Trevor makes a decision to keep being open to the calling God has given him to help others understand what he sees as being real and not something to play with or quickly dismiss.

In the sequel, a lot of the action takes place in New Orleans.  Trevor has a tough job trying to find the killer and the leader who is using dark spirits to take peoples’ lives.  Trevor’s daughter who starts out being a real hard young person to convince of the reality that Trevor sees in the spiritual realm, but later is more open to the possibility of demons and their powers.  The mystery in finding out who killed two prominent lawyers and trying to pin them on Trevor makes the novel more interesting.  At times, it was hard to distinguish who is for God and who is against Him.

What happens to Trevor’s daughter in the book put my heart in my throat and yet showing how much more powerful God is was awesome!  While all of this is of course fiction, one need only read the daily news or listen to the radio with an open mind to understand that there are most certainly powers of evil that are out to bring chaos and destruction.  However, we must remember that humans can always choose to be filled with the Holy Spirit of God or to be empty or possessed, especially when dealing with the occultism or the worship of Satan.

Normally, these types of stories would give me nightmares, but these books didn’t.  One reason is because I was praying before I read and another is the tale shows truth when it speaks of the power of the Holy Spirit and the weapons a believer has when they put on the full armor of God as stated in the book of Ephesians in the Bible.  On the front cover, I disagreed with Library Journal comparing Craig’s novel to Stephen King or Dean Koontz as they aren’t even written with the same purpose or truth as Craig’s Trevor Black Novels entail.  I hope you read both stories and consider fact from fiction, which is pretty obvious to those who believe in God and study the Word of God!