The Lacemaker

Author:  Laura Frantz

Pages:  416 (ARC)

Year:  2018

Publisher:  Revell

My rating is 5 out of 5 stars.

The colonial period in our history is one of my favorite time periods to read about and Laura Frantz is an author who writes well-written tales that will captivate readers for hours.  This latest novel is no exception.  The setting is colonial Williamsburg and the nearby towns in the year 1775.

Lady Elisabeth Lawson is a loyal Tory with her father as the lieutenant governor of the Virginia Colony as well as a member of the British aristocracy.  He has controlled every move of his only child’s life and has orchestrated a betrothal between Elisabeth and a wealthy man loyal to the Crown.  There is no love between the two, and her fiancé has minimal contact with her.  She has planned her wedding alone as her father has sent her mother to England as she was expressing too many anti-Tory sentiments.  So, Elisabeth is stunned when the Patriots gain control of the colony and her father leaves her alone to fend for herself.  Her fiancé also abandons her, leaving her alone and at the mercy of angry Patriot men who roam the streets looting and vandalizing.  In steps Noble Rynallt, a diehard Patriot originally from Wales, but also a gentleman.

Noble is the cousin of Elisabeth’s betrothed and feels it is his duty to keep her safe.  He is aware of her political stance, but nonetheless he is attracted to her.  With nowhere else to go, as all the Tories have left town and the Patriots will not house a Tory, Noble invites Elisabeth to stay at his home along with her maid until she his cousin and she marry.  Lacemaking is a skill that has been passed down for generations on the female side of Elisabeth’s family.  She soon will have to depend on that skill to support herself when her fiancé doesn’t come to collect her.  Noble keeps tabs on her as he knows she isn’t safe as a Tory female, living alone in the explosive Patriot atmosphere.  Elisabeth finds herself questioning why she is a Tory and thinking about Noble quite a lot.  What is God’s plan for her?

I have read several of Laura’s novels and have been fascinated with the details and the unique stories she pens about colonial life, whether it be in a city or untamed territory.  I get lost in the pages, imagining life back then and how I would react to the situations her characters encounter.  Faith is incorporated in this story as Elisabeth learns how to live out her faith in dependence on God and to have faith that He knows what is best for her.  I anxiously await the next historical tale from this author!