Across the Blue

Author:  Carrie Turansky

Pages:  352

Year:  Feb 2018

Publisher:  Multnomah

My rating 5 out of 5 stars.

The time frame is early 1900s, a time when the life of a young woman was under the direction of her parents.  Young women would attend parties and balls with the hopes of meeting their future mates.  Of course, the hope was the man would be of status and renown.  When I started reading Across the Blue, I quickly became entranced with the main family in the novel, the Graysons.  The father was prominent as his three newspaper enterprises grew, which took the family from struggling to high social status and financial security.  However, it also put pressure of different kinds on the wife and the two daughters.

Isabella is the first born with a desire to follow in her father’s footsteps and become a journalist, which at the time was unheard of.  Her father and Isabella also share a love for aviation, which was just starting to come onto the scene.  With financial help from the Grayson family, Professor Steed and his young pilot James Drake seek to enact the culminating hopes of the professor, which is to see one of his airplanes in the air.

Carrie Turansky’s novel is one of hopes, faith and dreams.  The story is also one of heartache and desire for James Drake to find out about his real parents along with knowing what happened to the two young people.  With Isabella’s ability to ask questions, research and more, she wants to help James find answers as well as fulfill her own dream of being a journalist.

The farther along I read, the more my heart was pulled into the unique story set in London and other parts across the ocean.  I loved the possible romance of a few other characters in the book and the challenge to fly an airplane that compared to today was very simplistic with successful flights resting more on the shoulders of the aviators and designers.  Any little wind or problem with the plane could bring disastrous results or a good day would bring a wonderful flying experience.

I hope you plan on reading this book when it becomes available in February 2018; it’s a grand tale indeed!