Isaiah’s Daughter (A Novel of Prophets & Kings)

Title:  Isaiah’s Daughter (A Novel of Prophets & Kings)

Author:  Mesu Andrews

Pages:  400

Year:  2018

Publisher:  WaterBrook

My rating 5+ out of 5.

Mesu Andrews shares with her audience a brilliant woven tapestry of a story of the prophet Isaiah, his family and the kings that ruled Judah at a time when life was precarious.  Hezekiah is a young prince when the tale begins, his father King Ahaz known in the Bible as a wicked king sacrifices Hezekiah’s older brother to a false god.  Hezekiah is in shock and no one seems to be able to bring the young man out of his catatonic state.  In a desperate move, the queen brings him to the prophet’s house in the hopes someone can help, and God uses a young girl who is just as broken as Hezekiah.

As time progresses, we watch as Hezekiah grows up along side the young girl known as Ishma, which means “desolation” as they sit under the tutelage of Isaiah along with other members of nobility.  The story told in the book while a novelization is captivating, heart wrenching at times and inspiring in other places.  The author quotes several passages at the beginning of the chapters that helps readers to follow the true history of the time and where readers can go for more insight.

I found this story the most inspiring of Mesu’s novels thus far.  It isn’t because her other novels aren’t; I am just inspired that though his father was a wicked king, Hezekiah followed God.  Having read the biblical accounts of the time also helped as I read the tale as I remembered details that aren’t included in the book.  I highly recommend readers read their Bibles for further inspiration, truth, and knowledge of God and how faithful He is when someone seeks Him through repentance with an open heart to obey all that the law requires.

I loved Ishma’s character and Isaiah’s as I read the novel.  Isiah was a prophet at a time when he had to confront the wickedness of King Ahaz and the people of Judah.  He also witnessed God’s faithfulness when Hezekiah restored the temple and tore down the multiple high places of worship to false gods. What that obedience must have cost him and his family!  Yet, he obeyed, and the novel makes Isaiah come alive as a man with all the turmoil that at times encompasses obedience to what God called him to do.  The biggest truth I came away with is God is always willing to forgive and restore anyone who seeks His face with their whole heart!