A Song of Home (Pearl Spence Book #3)

Title:  A Song of Home (Pearl Spence Book #3)

Author:  Susie Finkbeiner

Pages:  312

Year:  2017

Publisher:  Kregel

My rating is 5 out of 5 stars.

The Pearl Spence series begins with A Cup of Dust followed by A Trail of Crumbs before completing Pearl’s tale in this book.  It would be helpful if readers read all three to get the most out of the continuing story and characters that go with each book.  Pearl’s past heartaches that she experiences are shared in the first two books and there are aspects of those in the third installment.  This book really (like the others) reaches out from the pages and grabs the heart and attention of the audience.

Pearl is now living in Michigan and going to school.  For the most part, she is happy and loves her dad, her best friend Ray and the housekeeper Opal to pieces.  The person that is tripping up her heart and faith is her mother.  Pearl vacillates with wanting her mother to be present in her life and then not wanting her at all.

There is some real drama that unfolds in Pearl’s life that, at her young age, she doesn’t quite comprehend but feels the repercussions of them nonetheless.  Pearl’s heart longs to be accepted by her peers and for adults to look past the color of another person’s skin.  She enjoys helping those who are literally dirt poor.  Pearl is just becoming a young lady at the end of the book and at times she isn’t sure she wants to grow up and go through anymore changes.

I have read all three books in the series.  Each one is crafted to capture the reader’s attention and bring to the forefront the constant change of living and how faith can be the very crux and determining factor between thriving through trials or letting them change in negative ways.  What occurs between her parents was a somber part of the story that only made me hope for the best for these two characters.

I quickly became glued to each book, character and the ending that left me desiring more stories with Pearl as the main character.  I hope readers will enjoy the books as much as I have and share them with their family, friends or whomever so they can experience Pearl’s life experiences for themselves.