Death at Thorburn Hall (Drew Farthering #6)

Title:  Death at Thorburn Hall (Drew Farthering #6)

Author:  Julianna Deering

Pages:  329

Year:  2017

Publisher:  Bethany House

My rating is 4 out of 5 stars.

While visiting a distant cousin who lives in Scotland, her husband falls off his horse during a ride and dies.  Drew asks a few questions and is satisfied it is truly an accident.  The victim’s daughter, however, is not.  Her father was an excellent horseman.  She begs Drew to look more into the matter, and Drew soon discovers that the death was not an accident.  Someone had tampered with the saddle, but who would want Lord Rainsby dead?

Drew delves deeper into the lives of the Rainsby family with the help of his best friend, Nick Dennison.  Nick has more on his mind than murder, however.  The woman he hopes to marry has arrived, but she is very troubled being around murder and the ensuing investigation.  Nick is afraid she will return to America and stay away another three years or perhaps more.  So, Drew is juggling a murder investigation, his best friend’s romantic life, his cousin’s grief, a daughter’s suspicions and a chief inspector who wants no interference from amateur detectives.  Then, another body is discovered and shortly thereafter a third body washes ashore from the sea.  Are the murder’s connected?  If so, by what?  Drew’s detective skills will be put to the test as he tries to find a killer.

My only negative about this mystery was the role of Carrie in the story.  She was a distraction and downer for most of the story.  I liked Madeline’s positive attitude and the prominent role faith had in her life.  I also liked the playful interaction between Madeline and Drew.  I was intrigued by the mystery of Drew’s search for his birth mother.  Will he continue to try to find her?  Maybe he will finally track her down and have a chance to meet her, or maybe she will be involved in his next murder mystery.  I’ll anxiously await the next tale and let you know!