Courage for the Unknown Season

Author:  Jan Silvious

Pages:  208

Year:  2017

Publisher:  NavPress

My rating 4 out of 5 stars.

When I started reading the book, I wondered if it would have any nuggets of wisdom for me to glean, and it truly did have some!  There were a few places I didn’t quite glean as much.  Perhaps that is based more on my season of life than anything.  Either way, I think chapters 8 & 9 have much to share with those who are caretakers or were caretakers of aging parents.

I had the blessing of being able to be that person for my husband’s parents.  It wasn’t always easy and sure it did not always feel like a blessing at that time.  When one sees parents aging and declining, there is grief that goes right alongside other emotions that are mixed and complicated.  It has been a few years since that season for me and now both my husband and I look back and are seeing the wonders God did and the memories we have that we cherish.

Now, as my sons grow into adults and one recently married I am in an unknown season.  With unknown seasons there are many emotions experienced, questions, insecurities and such.  Unknown seasons bring change without the benefit of foresight because we don’t see it coming.  It seems like we awake and there the season is on our face.  The author shares nuggets that I have stored in my heart and mind to remember as I take a step each day and close my eyes at night, closing my day with prayer.

The book isn’t long, so people can read it and quickly gain insight and encouragement.  Plus, it is a good book to use for discussion groups of various kinds.