My Heart Belongs in Castle Gate, Utah: Leanna’s Choice

Author:  Angie Dicken

Pages:  256

Year:  2017

Publisher:  Barbour Books

My rating 5 out of 5 stars.

Each book in the “My Heart Belongs” series is unique and a stand-alone, and I’ve enjoyed reading each novel!  In this latest novel set in the early 1900s, a young widow named Leanna wrestles with her unforgiving heart toward her husband and herself.  On top of which Leanna decides to help two Greek children in the coal mining community along with her other students.  Leanna has known sorrow, hunger and being disinherited by her family as she followed her heart in marrying beneath her social status and following what she believed was God’s call on her life.

Now, with very little means to support herself, Leanna is fighting prejudices and the elements just to survive.  Leanna is a very caring, loving character though she recognizes within her heart she would be just as high and mighty as others in the coal town who are acting against the Greeks and others if life hadn’t changed for her with her now deceased husband Jack.

Leanna is my favorite character in the book as she walks out her faith, her struggles and even owns her failures.  On top of this, Leanna strongly opposes how others are mistreating people based on their heritage.  Eventually her faith in God is what shines the brightest throughout the book.  I enjoyed the Greek sense of family and traditions, plus learning how family members are titled compared to how I grew up.  This is a great story that touches the heart and reminds us we are all loved by God and created uniquely!