Macy

Author:  April McGowan

Pages:  262

Year:  2014

Publisher:  WhiteFire

My rating 5 out of 5 stars.

What a unique story that unfolds within these pages!  There are a multitude of heart-touching interactions between the main character, Macy, beginning with her husband and family.  Macy is abandoned in a diner when her husband leaves her because she has refused to relinquish the life growing inside her.  My heart was pulled as I read what happened with and to Macy as she begins trying to build a life with nothing to her name.

The novel points out how women in abusive marriages can slowly find a new life until they are able to decide what the future may hold for them.  Macy, while not physically abused, was certainly emotionally abused, as well as having her mother’s hand in her marriage along with how controlling Macy’s husband was in keeping her from knowing anything outside of what he revealed.

The theme of struggling with believing in God during these times while learning to forgive by showing just how hard it can be to do and yet freeing at the same time was an amazing aspect to the book.  Many other characters are introduced in the story I think to show how people can lend a helping hand to women who find themselves in the situations they are in.  Plus, I loved how the author ends the book with the ultimate theme of hope that God alone can restore to a broken heart and life.

I don’t want readers to think this is a downer novel; it isn’t.  It is gripping, but doesn’t pull the reader into the depths of pain.  Readers will be touched by what they read by what others do to help Macy, and above all how God can work miraculously and wondrously when we relinquish trying to fix our problems on our own.