The Dishonorable Miss DeLancey (Regency Brides: Legacy of Grace #3)

Title:  The Dishonorable Miss DeLancey (Regency Brides:  Legacy of Grace #3)

Author:  Carolyn Miller

Pages:  296

Year:  2017

Publisher:  Kregel Publications

My rating is 5 out of 5 stars.

Ben Kemsley is a sea captain who is recuperating at his sister’s house in Brighton after a knee injury sustained during a ship wreck.  He was a hero as he managed to swim for help while injured to save the survivors of the wreck.  The Prince Regent even mentioned giving him a monetary reward in the newspaper.  Ben hasn’t seen a cent of a reward and doesn’t have much to offer a future wife, not that he is looking for a wife.  He is drawn to the cliffs on a dark, stormy night.  Once he arrives he sees a woman slip and fall over the cliffside.  He manages to grab her wrist and pull her to safety.  She quietly and quickly thanks him, then runs off.

Clara DeLancey is depressed.  The earl she thought she had an understanding with, though not formally engaged, has married another and left her humiliated in the eyes of society.  The actions of her reprobate brother have further ruined her in the eyes of society so she is forced to leave London with her parents until the ton begins to forget.  They haven’t seen her brother in quite some time and that is fine with her.  She has no friends, but she meets the local vicar’s wife and her sister and they become friends.  Clara’s mother doesn’t approve as she thinks they are not of the same class and so shouldn’t associate with them.  Clara also meets Tessa’s brother, Ben.  As Clara receives an entrée back into society, she invites Tessa to be a part of it.  Ben knows he is not of Clara’s class, but his heart doesn’t.  Clara wants Ben in her life permanently, but her parents don’t approve.  Can this dilemma be solved or will Clara be forced to marry another?

Author Carolyn Miller once again has given her audience a clean, enjoyable, Regency romance.  I recommend reading the series in order beginning with The Elusive Miss Ellison, then continuing with The Captivating Lady Charlotte before reading this tale.  I so enjoyed reading about Clara’s spiritual growth as she came to the lowest point in her life.  She tentatively placed her trust in God initially, then wholeheartedly.  While she didn’t suddenly have an easy life, she knew that God loved her and she could withstand life’s hardships.  Did God give her what she thought she wanted or what she truly needed?  The author has a wonderful way of intertwining faith into the story without condescension or preachiness.  I can’t wait to read Carolyn’s next book!  Kudos Carolyn for a great series!!