Copper Country (A Copper Island Novel #2)

Title:  Copper Country (A Copper Island Novel #2)

Author:  Kristin Neva

Pages:  286

Year:  2017

Publisher:  The Christmas Tree House

My rating 5 out of 5 stars.

The series begins with the novel titled, Snow Country where we meet a wide variety of characters.  The author writes from her personal knowledge gained as she was raised on Copper Island.  That enhances her ability to describe scenes that are riveting.  I believe too that with the firsthand experience of living on that island she can place her characters into situations that are captivating for readers.

The uniqueness of the story continues with the way the old Finns language is used as well as some of the unique foods that are favorites served in the book’s café.  One of the main characters is Amiee Mallon who has come from a family where her father abandoned her, her only sibling is a brother who doesn’t care about their parents and her mother has let herself go.  Amiee though feels responsible for her mother even though her mother doesn’t take care of herself let alone pay attention to anything Amiee is saying.

The tension in the book is happening both within the hearts of a couple of the characters as well as in some relationships.  One of the characters has ALS, which the author is quite familiar with as her husband battles the disease.  It helped me understand what the person and those who love that person suffering with ALS feel, and how they try to cope each day with faith and thankfulness for that day.

Amiee’s boyfriend, Russ, really can’t decide what he wants with Amiee.  Is it marriage or just friendship?  Amiee is one who speaks her mind; yet, when she finds herself trying to handle her father’s reappearance and his request to see her, she must face her deepest darkest place in her heart.  The novel touched my heart as I read about the character I met in book one and now read about in book two.

I hope readers will read and enjoy both Snow Country and now Copper Country with the hopes that the author plans another story on Copper Island sometime in the future!