Ties that Bind (The Amish of Summer Grove #1)

Title: Ties that Bind (The Amish of Summer Grove #1)

Author:  Cindy Woodsmall

Pages:  352

Year:  2015

Publisher:  WaterBrook Press

My rating 5 out of 5 stars.

In Ties That Bind, readers meet with a surprising start that ends up entwining two families.  One family is the Brennemans who are Amish and at the midwife’s clinic giving birth to a set of twins, a boy and a girl.  Also, there at the clinic is a woman named Brandi who is an English woman who unexpectedly went into labor and needed help, eventually ending up at the local hospital.  Sounds like a quiet beginning to the tale until you learn other details such as they were giving birth at the time the clinic caught on fire!

Twenty years go by and the Amish mother, Lovina, who has had some doubts whether her daughter was hers or Brandi’s finds herself caught up in a mystery due to the blanket she was working on when her babies were born.  What follows is an ever-deepening story not just of Ariana or Skylar’s possible mix up, but the ripple effects that bring about surprising changes and challenges!

What has been happening besides this mystery is that Amish families are quietly leaving the community without notice to anyone.  No one is sure who is helping the families leave or if there is someone helping them gain a new identity and foundation in the English world.  I am really drawn into the series as the mystery widens, characters are finding that they need to truly search their heart and just how strong the ties of family and faith are or aren’t.

The tale really gripped my heart and kept me turning pages because I wanted to see how the families were handling their challenges and how the Amish community was coping with a person or persons they named the Nightcrawler.  Currently, I am reading the sequel, Fraying at the Edge, which is even more exciting than book one!  Then, I will read the third and final novel of the series, Gathering Threads and share my views of these two books with you as well!