If We Make It Home (A Novel of Faith and Survival in the Oregon Wilderness)

Title:  If We Make It Home (A Novel of Faith and Survival in the Oregon Wilderness)

Author:  Christina Suzann Nelson

Pages:  272

Year:  2017

Publisher:  Kregel

My rating 5 out of 5 stars.

Here is a powerful story about four women who were college buds.  When they left college, they let their relationships fade.  Now, decades later, they come back for a reunion that holds surprises and life lessons they will never forget, that is if they live through it.  Each of the four women is unique and different in personality, life experiences and more.  Hope used to own a small coffee shop on the campus, but her daughter does now.  Ireland is a college professor who is asked to take sabbatical.   Jenna, whose triplets have left the nest, and she has no idea what to do with herself except to stay inside the house and eat.  Finally, Vicky by all appearances is successful, has a wonderful husband and family.  However, appearances can be deceiving.

Ireland, Jenna and Vicky, together with a quirky guide they aren’t too sure about, travel into the wilderness on a survival tour.  What happens is that everything goes wrong, everyone’s life is in peril, and they have no clue where they are or if they will live to see tomorrow or their families.  But, what this adventure also does is strip them of everything, and reveals to them the pain, hurt and cry of their hearts they have long buried or forgotten.

I was drawn into this book with each page I read and the author slowly revealed each woman’s story and their heart’s deepest longings.  These ladies must relearn how to depend on each other, be truthful to themselves and each other about their hearts and lives.  Either they band together or their lives just might be forfeit.  One might think that once they are out of the wilderness all will be fine, but don’t be fooled into that kind of conclusion.  The author does an amazing job of keeping the tension of the tale going until the very end and then reveals the outcome of their trials.

You’ll read and see if these ladies and their lives are changed or whether they go on as if nothing happened.  For me, this is a book of the year and I plan on it being in my personal library to revisit sometime in the future.  I hope you grab a copy and perhaps tell others what a wonderful and powerful story lies within the pages!