The Christmas Blessing

Author:  Melody Carlson

Pages:  167

Year:  2017

Publisher:  Revell

My rating is 4 out of 5 stars.

The story is set in November 1944, beginning in California, but mostly taking place in Montana.  Amelia Richards finds herself in trouble.  Her welcome has worn out with her roommate, and Amelia has decided that it is time for her seven-week old infant son to meet his grandparents.  The problem is that his grandparents do not know of her existence let alone his.  She met and fell in love with James Barclay in the span of a few days.  He is in the U.S. Navy.  They were planning on getting married when he was unexpectedly ordered to return to his ship.  They never had a chance to get married or tell his parents of their engagement.

A couple of months after James ships out, Amelia finds herself “in the family way”.  She writes James, but receives no response.  After a few more months, she discovers his plane has been shot down and he has been declared dead.  She has the baby, but soon finds she can’t support herself and the baby.  She decides to go to James’ parents to forge a family connection.  She hopes to get a job in their small town in Montana, so she moves there.  She becomes desperate as she runs out of money and must make a difficult decision.  She makes the choice she thinks James would want, but now what is she supposed to do?  Throughout her life, she has kept her faith in God that her grandmother has instilled in her.  Can she keep her faith in the midst of emotional grief?

This is a heart-warming tale that will enrich the holiday season; however, it can be read and enjoyed any time of the year.  Amelia’s faith gives her the strength to make tough decisions.  She grieves the death of her fiancé and now she is raising a child as a single mother, which is not easy in any time.  She is a wonderful and loving mother who puts her child’s needs above her own.  The story has a “feel good” quality that I have come to know and enjoy in Melody’s Christmas stories.  They are ones to treasure and savor!