A Name Unknown (Shadows Over England #1)

Title:  A Name Unknown (Shadows Over England #1)

Author:  Roseanna M. White

Pages:  429

Year:  2017

Publisher:  BethanyHouse

My rating is 4 out of 5 stars.

Peter Holstein is a wealthy recluse who spends his time tapping away on his typewriter locked up in his study all day.  What is he typing all day?  Subversive letters against England and pro-Germany in these days of 1914 when countries are bristling against one another and on the brink of war?  That’s what Rosemary Gresham wonders upon first meeting him.  He has hired her to organize his extensive library and find certain documents that will prove his loyalty to England.  Rosemary has been sent by the mysterious Mr. V to find out if Peter is truly loyal to England or putting words in the King of England’s ear and is really embracing his German citizenship.  Rosemary faces a daunting task as she has had no formal education and is a child of the streets who has become an expert thief.  She is undercover to earn money for her large family that could feed and clothe them for a long time.  She is there to do the job and leave, but she soon finds herself enjoying her written exchanges with the quiet manor owner.  She knows he prefers writing due to his stuttering, so she adopts his method and writes back to him.  They soon form a friendship, but Rosemary must search for the truth without Peter knowing it or Mr. V will turn her in to the police for her thieving.  She begins to realize she is going to have to make a choice, one that will change many lives.

There were some very tender moments in this story, causing me to tear up occasionally.  The romance is gentle, but the faith revealed by Peter Holstein is wonderful!  He lives his faith daily and isn’t afraid to let others know of his beliefs.  He thinks of others first and tries his best to give godly advice and guidance.  He has a sense of humor, too!  He was my favorite character, although Rosemary ran a close second.  She is witty, scrappy, gritty and compassionate.  She stands up for those who need protection or those who have been wronged and she isn’t afraid of what anyone will think of her doing so.  She knows right from wrong, but has made some wrong choices out of necessity.  She realizes her life needs to change and makes the change needed without hesitation.  The book was a bit too long for me, but that is the only negative thing I found.  The scene where the Prince of England visits was just precious!