The Soldier Who Killed a King

Author:  David Kitz

Pages:  288

Year:  2017

Publisher:  Kregel

My rating 5 out of 5 stars.

This story is about Marcus Longinus, a Roman centurion in Jerusalem in 33 A.D.  The last thing for this soldier who is tormented by his past to expect is for Jesus of Nazareth to enter Jerusalem on a donkey as a king and perform miracles.  He heals the sick and the crippled, he raises the dead to life, and proclaims that the kingdom of heaven has come.  While Marcus cannot deny the goodness of this man, he is nevertheless disturbed by Him.  For on His entry into Jerusalem, Jesus turns to Marcus and he hears a voice in his head, “I have a future for you”.  Marcus feels small and doesn’t understand these words.  He fears to be around Jesus and doesn’t want anything to do with Him.  However, forces beyond his control are at work.  There are those in power who want Jesus dead.  The fate of Jesus and Marcus seems tied together and it seems Marcus might be the one who nails Jesus to the cross at Golgotha.

I would recommend this book to others because it is a great retelling of the last week of Jesus’ life here on earth.  I like how it stays true to what the Bible says happened during that time and how it is told through the eyes of Gentiles.  Now obviously, Marcus is made up and is supposed to be the Roman soldier who confessed that Jesus was the Son of God (see Luke 23:47), but it makes the story unique.  I also like how it stays true to the history of the enmity between a lot of the Jews and the Romans at that time when Israel was under Roman occupation.