Trusting Grace (Virtues and Vices of the Old West #3)

Title:  Trusting Grace (Virtues and Vices of the Old West #3)

Author:  Maggie Brendan

Pages:  328

Year:  2017

My rating is 4 stars out of 5.

Robert Frasier was married for just two months when his wife died and he lost his farm due to poor crop yield.  Right after his wife’s funeral, her sister shows up and drops off his dead wife’s three children for him to raise.  He had no idea his wife even had any children!  He is angry and depressed and grieving.  He has a poor attitude with the children even though he knows it is not their fault.  He takes them on the road as he looks for work so they live outside in a wagon, moving every few days as Robert can’t find work.  He comes to Bozeman, Montana and hopes his future will be brighter.  The town is just beginning to prosper so hopefully he can find work.  He gets a job at a local potato farm and meets the owner, a widow named Grace Bidwell.  He keeps his distance from her as he now thinks every woman is out to get a ring on her finger.  Over time, he learns that Grace is special and not what he expected.

Grace Bidwell has been a widow for three years after her husband’s unexpected death.  She is also caring for her ailing father who moved in with him after his wife died.  Grace desperately needs help to get the potatoes planted and keep up with work on the farm, so she decides to hire Robert.  She soon discovers he is a hard worker, but doesn’t say much and keeps to himself.  She stumbles upon his children and they soon fill a void in her heart for the family she has always wanted, but Robert doesn’t seem interested in her romantically.  A local lawyer begins to court Grace, so she might just get her family after all.

Readers see the two main characters both having issues with trust.  Robert was duped by his first wife and Grace not able to trust Robert due to another man’s mistreatment of her and lying to her.  They each learn how to trust that God knows what is best for them, whether it is becoming a father through deceit of another or longing for a family.  The act of swallowing pride and apologizing is in the story, which is something everyone must deal with at some point in their lives.  It was a good reminder to me that I don’t always have to be right and I need to humble myself and extend mercy.  I have enjoyed this entire series and think anyone who likes western historical romance will like these books.