My Daughter’s Legacy (Cousins of the Dove #3)

Title:  My Daughter’s Legacy (Cousins of the Dove #3)

Author:  Mindy Starns Clark & Leslie Gould

Pages:  397

Year:  2017

Publisher:  Harvest House

My rating is 4 out of 5 stars.

After meeting Nicole in book one and reading about her continued trouble with addiction in book two, now readers get to hear her story in book three of the series.  She has just completed her first year of college successfully.  She has been substance free for the whole time and has no intention of going back to her former life.  She is healthier than ever and with summer approaching she is going to live with her sister and intern at a local ranch that uses horses for rehabilitative therapy.  However, before she can begin her summer break, she decides she must share a secret she has kept at her grandfather’s request since she was six years old.  The secret sheds a little light on the mystery of the disappearing dead body that has plagued Nicole, her sister and her two cousins for years.  As the four cousins come together once again, can they finally discover what really happened all those years ago?

In alternating chapters, readers are taken to the past of 1864 and learn about Therese Jennings.  Therese lives in Virginia, which is a Confederate state, but she is anti-slavery.  Her father was from the North and taught his daughter that slavery was wrong.  Her mother is from the South, but abided by her husband’s wishes.  Now that Therese’s father has died, her mother returns to the family plantation, refusing to free the slaves as her grandfather requested in his last words.  Therese can’t live under these conditions so she takes a job in Richmond as a governess and begins volunteering at a local hospital to nurse wounded soldiers.  Therese must decide if she can stand firm in her beliefs as well as who is trustworthy as all is not as is appears.

I so enjoyed this final book in this interesting series!  The authors did a great job of blending the story between past and present to make it easy to read and follow each timeline.  The look at the past in each book was especially captivating.  I liked learning about Richmond near the end of the Civil War and what life was like in this southern city.  The romantic angle for both Therese and Nicole was also one that piqued my interest.  I do recommend reading these books in order.  For an intriguing look at history and mystery, this is a series that will fit the bill!