Dark Deception (Defenders of Justice #2)

Title:  Dark Deception (Defenders of Justice #2)

Author:  Nancy Mehl

Pages:  320

Year:  2017

Publisher:  Bethany

My rating 5 out of 5 stars!

The first novel in the series is titled, Fatal Frost, which is a great book that sets readers on edge and get them ready for book two!  Kate O’Brien’s life is irrevocably changed the night her twin sister is murdered, leaving Kate alive.  Kate agrees to testify against the man arrested for the dark deed.  She enters witness protection in hopes of starting over and never facing the man again.

Unfortunately, the U.S. Marshals must bring Kate back to the area where her sister was killed to testify again when evidence is thrown out of court and the conviction overturned.  Tony’s life as well as Kate’s is ever creeping toward being extinguished by the person responsible for more than one murder.

The twists and turns of locating the antagonist in the book kept me turning pages for hours!  Plus, the possible budding romance that isn’t supposed to happen between a U.S. Marshal and a witness in the protection program adds another layer of suspense to the tale.  Issues of trust are high on Kate’s list and her faith isn’t all that strong either, while Tony is learning to lean on the Lord even when his plans go awry with Kate.

Just when I thought the action and danger were over, the author brought in an unexpected twist and I was hooked until the very end of the story!  I loved the first novel and really enjoyed this one even more.  Nancy Mehl has written suspense-filled stories that will keep readers asking for more for a long while.  Be prepared to read heart-pounding tension in the book, and I can’t wait to see what comes next in the series from the pen of the author who knows how to keep people reading for many hours.  Great job Nancy!