Deep Extraction (FBI Task Force #2)

Title:  Deep Extraction (FBI Task Force #2)

Author:  DiAnn Mills

Pages:  416

Year:  2017

Publisher:  Tyndale House Publishers, Inc.

My rating is 5 out of 5 stars.

Tori Templeton is a special agent with the FBI.  She has recently lost her young brother to cancer.  Her brother had a deep faith in God, but Tori is struggling with grief and God.  Now, she is called upon to investigate a murder with a possible terrorist link.  She may have a conflict of interest as the victim is her best friend’s husband, Nathan Moore.  Her partner, Max, isn’t sure if she can do her job professionally without letting her feelings skew her viewpoint.  Tori is determined to maintain her focus and do her job, but she must also deal with her best friend’s grief over losing her husband.  The handsome landscaper, who is a friend of the victim and his family, might just be able to help her solve the case.

Cole Jeffers has left law enforcement after a traumatic event.  He now owns his own successful landscaping business.  With this friend murdered, Cole feels God’s nudging to pick up his badge again.  His friendship demands he use his experience and skill to help find Nathan’s killer and free Nathan’s wife from suspicion as a prime suspect in his death.  However, Cole doesn’t expect that he will also be looked at as a suspect as the investigation gets underway.

This story has plenty of suspense, mystery and intrigue.  There was more than one suspect and motive, which kept me thinking and trying to decide the culprit for quite some time.  There is also a good sense of humor brought to the mix through the character of Cole.  He obeys God’s call to return to law enforcement to help Tori solve a murder.  He coaxes Tori into trusting him with his smile, humor and faith that leads to the beginning of a romance.  Tori must deal with the recent death of her brother as well as prove her best friend didn’t kill her husband.  I enjoyed reading about how these characters worked out their problems.  I can’t wait for what comes next from the pen of this author!