Romancing Daphne

Title:  Romancing Daphne

Author:  Sarah M. Eden

Pages:  328

Year:  2017

Publisher:  Covenant Communications, Inc.

My rating is 5 out of 5 stars.

I have read one other book by this author, A Fine Gentleman, and liked it so when this novel was released I jumped at the chance to read it.  This book is part of the Lancaster Family series and is book three.  This story is about the shy sister, Daphne.  The beginning of the story takes place in the fall of 1806 in London with a 12-year-old Daphne peeking at the crowd at her older sister’s presentation to Society with the first meeting between Daphne and James Tilburn.  Then, we leave that flashback and jump six years to the present time period for the remainder of the story.

Daphne Lancaster has been told she is plain, with none of the beauty of person or personality as her sisters by those in the “know”.  Her family loves her and she is comfortable with them and pursuing learning.  She is dreading her presentation to Society, which is a requirement of a woman of her station now that she is eighteen.  She would much rather spend her time talking politics and new of the day with her brother-in-law or reading.

James Tilburn is a young man who has been given a chance to help his family’s reputation by spending time with an influential duke’s sister-in-law, Daphne Lancaster, to help ease her way into Society.  He is just to befriend her, not pay her court.  He has political aspirations to fill his father’s seat in the House of Lord, a seat his father rarely inhabits.  His father is all about raising their family’s reputation to the highest social circles.  With James being in contact with Daphne, his mother might be helped as well as she has been spurned from Society due to her humble origins.  James has a chance to give his mother an opening in the closed ranks of Society.  Once he segues Daphne into Society, he can taper off their interactions.  He has no intentions of becoming enamored.

This is only my second book to read from this author’s pen, but I am hooked!  Her writing style is one that draws a reader in from page one until turning the last page with a satisfying sigh.  The characters are appealing and readers will have their emotions engaged.  There is tenderness, humor, a bit of mystery, betrayal and more to this wonderful story.  I have already begun searching for her other novels and hope to read them soon.  I will be keeping my out eye out for her next novel as I know I will be in for an entertaining story.