A Stolen Heart (Cimarron Creek Trilogy #1)

Title:  A Stolen Heart (Cimarron Creek Trilogy #1)

Author:  Amanda Cabot

Pages:  352

Year:  2017

Publisher:  Revell

My rating is 4 stars.

Sheriff Travis Whitfield has a problem on his hands.  There have been several petty crimes in town as well as the disappearance of a town citizen and he can’t solve either mystery.  Some are beginning to doubt his ability to be sheriff.  On top of that, a young single woman has arrived on the stagecoach and she is from the North!  Many in town are still angry over the War Between the States that ended 15 years ago, so he knows she might not have the kindest welcome.  She is also looking for the missing man he can’t seem to find!  However, he feels it is his duty to welcome the newest guest to town.  Once he realizes she has no place to stay, he offers his aunt’s home as an option.  She accepts and he realizes at once how beautiful she is and how many single men in town there are that will be vying for her hand in marriage.  He is glad he isn’t in the market to get married.

Lydia has uprooted her entire life in Syracuse, New York to come to Cimarron Creek, Texas to marry a man who has disappeared after he has married someone else!  Now what is she going to do?  The kind and handsome sheriff has offered her a place to stay, but what will she do with her time?  How will she earn her keep?  She was a schoolteacher in Syracuse, but Cimarron Creek already has a schoolteacher.  She moves in with the sheriff’s aunt and the two immediately like one another.  Their relationship soon becomes close like that of a grandmother and her granddaughter.  As the sheriff’s aunt is wealthy, this helps Lydia be accepted in town by most people, but not everyone.  Lydia has sworn off men and getting married because men just can’t be trusted.

This first book in a new trilogy from author Amanda Cabot is truly entertaining.  I especially liked the inclusion of a mystery in this romantic story as well as Lydia’s strong faith.  After quitting her job, arriving in a strange town across the country and expecting to marry a man who claimed to love her only to find him married to another woman, Lydia prays and believes God has brought her to this specific town for a reason, so she stays.  This is a great lesson for me…to follow God’s will no matter how much I might want to do otherwise!  There are other life lessons in the story that I will let readers discover on their own.  I am already looking forward to book two in the series.  For those who can’t wait, chapter one of the next book in the series is included to whet your appetite!