A Fine Gentleman

Title:  A Fine Gentleman

Author:  Sarah M. Eden

Pages:  256

Year:  2017

Publisher:  Covenant Communications, Inc.

My rating is 5 stars.

Jason Jonquil is a barrister and one of eight children, all boys.  He has grown estranged from his oldest brother after their father’s death and has made himself less humorous.  He is very good at his job and comes highly recommended.  However, he has also become stern and staid.  He lives in rented rooms because his grief is too great to live at home; the memories of his father hurt too much.

In to his office walks Miss Mariposa Thornton.  She truly becomes a thorn in his side.  She is seeking a barrister to find her father’s solicitor because he has died and she is due an inheritance.  What Jason doesn’t know is there is much more to the vacuous-appearing Miss Thornton.  Unbeknownst to Jason, she is searching for her mother and brother as they got separated when fleeing war-torn Spain during Napoleon’s invasion.  She has also been threatened by a well-known French spy with death for herself and her family.  On a journey for truth, each one of them makes new discoveries about themselves and each other.

The opening few scenes between Mariposa and Jason are brilliant!  The dialogue is witty, and at times subtle or straight forward.  There were several times I was laughing out loud at how cleverly Mariposa manipulated the conversation.  I could certainly identify with Jason’s frustration and irritation.  However, rather quickly, they each bring out the best in the other.  Jason is more lighthearted and doesn’t take himself so seriously, has begun to deal with this grief and has returned to a close relationship with his oldest brother.  Mariposa has learned to be honest, to let her compassion show more and to trust.  This is a delightful romance!  I look forward to reading more books from this author as this one was just great!  Kudos Sarah on a job well done!!