Dynamo

Pages:  304

Year:  2016

Publisher:  Whitaker

My rating is 5 stars.

Jeth is a man searching and running at the same time.  Jeth is a lover of horses, rides well and is knowledgeable, but don’t say a word about God to him.  Until he turns on a road that he thought took him somewhere else and he ends up at a small ranch with two people who love the Lord.  Rob and Katie take him on though they can only offer him a roof over his head.  They lay down some guidelines that Jeth must adhere to.

Jeth is very transparent with the owners regarding his past and what he does and doesn’t believe.  However, more than anything, Jeth wants to get back to riding horses and showing them at various events.  One would think the story couldn’t be more than a nice tale that leads to redemption and reconciliation, but is it really?

I found the book very compelling to read and couldn’t help myself from turning pages long into the night!  Jeth is a very interesting character whose spiritual experiences and questions are deep.  He won’t take platitude answers either.  Jeth finds an elderly woman in the area’s small congregation that understands him and mentors him some named Maybelle, or I should say she picks Jeth out.

The interactions between various characters kept me very interested because I wasn’t always able to see where the author was leading.  What drew me most into the book were the spiritual themes running throughout the story.  I am not sure exactly how to explain them, but yes there is faith, spiritual warfare and struggling with understanding suffering.  However, Jeth has a spiritual encounter with God that changes him and challenges him in a way I don’t remember reading in a story.

A person doesn’t need to understand the nuances of the various types of horses or shows that occur to really enjoy the tale that will grab your heart and mind.  I cannot wait to see what the author offers to audiences next, but until then don’t miss reading a very action-packed and highly engaging story!