The Dog Who Was There

Author:  Ron Marasco

Pages:  272

Year:  2017

Publisher:  Thomas Nelson

My rating 5 out of 5 stars.

At first I will admit I was skeptical when I heard of this novel and saw the cover.  It made me wonder if this in fact was a book for children.  I also contemplated if the message of the gospel was in some way downplayed or made cute.  When I first started reading and began to progress in the story, there were hints that the author was leading his audience to some discovery.

I appreciated the author’s way of placing the story in the past with what I thought were believable scenarios based on that time.  The descriptions of the various scenes put me right there as an observer, which enhanced my enjoyment of the book.  The makeup of the many different characters, some of dubious means, made for tension and dangerous moments in the plot.

I don’t think the book should be read to little children as some things that happen to the dog or people might make them scared.  I think it is a great book for young teens and older ages, especially the conclusion will grab their hearts and attention.  The central character might be the dog, but the travels of the dog are all leading to one outstanding and historical event that can impact and change lives today.  The ending was really a stroke of genius and a surprise to me as I never saw it coming.  I believe it will cause many to think seriously about the power of Christ in a life given to Him.