A Moonbow Night

Author:  Laura Frantz

Pages:  384

Year:  2017

Publisher:  Revell

My rating is 5 out of 5 stars.

Fantastic!  That is just one of the many positive words I could have chosen to describe this wonderful story.  I am a big fan of Laura’s writing and this book just brings that thought home even more.  The story is set in the Kentucke territory in 1777.  The two main characters are Temperance or Tempe and Sion Morgan.  Sion is a surveyor for a company out of England who has been hired to survey the Kentucke territory.  Tempe, her mother and brother operate an inn in the middle of nowhere in hostile Indian Territory.  Her father, a Patriot, lives close by, but he lives in hiding as he is wanted for killing a surveyor hired by King George in Virginia, which caused the family to flee Virginia and is how the family has ended up in Kentucke.

Tempe is extremely knowledgeable about the land, herbs, food, guns, tracking and just about anything necessary to survive in this wilderness.  She has a deep appreciation for God’s beautiful land and takes daily rambles to immerse herself in His creation.  She is still grieving her fiancé who was killed four years ago by local Indians and at times longs to be with him.  Then, Sion Morgan arrives at the inn looking for a guide.  Tempe becomes his guide at the insistence of her father.  As they set out on their arduous journey, the threat of an Indian attack is a constant worry.  The Indians call surveyors “land stealers”, so they have no love lost when they encounter any white people be they surveyors or not.  Along the way, Sion and Tempe develop a mutual respect and attraction for each other.  Sion has lost his wife in an Indian attack three years ago, so he and Tempe have this type of loss in common.

Laura Frantz is passionate about the genre in which she writes and it shows in her detailed and vivid descriptions of the beauty of the land, the lifestyle of the characters and the history of the times.  I was so involved in this story that I would have to put the book down to do something only to find myself drawn back to the book as soon as possible.  I was riveted as the tension from Indian attack and the relationship between Sion and Tempe as the constant harsh details of life where made alive before my eyes.  I liked learning about Kentucke during this time in history as well as what the relationship was between the Indians and the pioneers.  I cared about what happened to the characters as I was emotionally vested in the story, which I think is something a good author as the God-given talent to accomplish.  There is much more that happens in the story than I’ve mentioned, so please do yourself a favor and pick up this great story and read it for yourself!