Long Way Gone

Author:  Charles Martin

Pages:  320

Year:  2016

Publisher:  Thomas Nelson

My rating is 5 out of 5 stars.

Charles Martin has written a novel that moves the heart very deeply and engages the mind in wondering where he is taking readers.  The novel also moves the soul in a way that people can easily identify with by using the language of music.  The main character, Cooper, readers meet seen as a man playing a guitar on a street corner.  His looks have changed along with his voice.  Soon, due to being at a stoplight, he observes a young lady who looks very familiar.  When he sees her again, he is struck by how little she has changed.  Or has she?

The author uses flashback a couple of times and slowly reveals a modern day fictional telling of what many know to be the prodigal son parable from the Bible.  With slow movement and time to let the story sink into the heart of the reader, he unveils the true look at the heart of a prodigal.  While the character is a man, readers will soon see that all of the players are prodigals.  The difference is some come home and others choose not to.

Cooper also learns that he sees in the spiritual realm and it affects his life, heart and future in ways he couldn’t before understand.  When he realizes his earthly father is gone and what he was teaching his son was right, a powerful scene in the book will take your breath away.  The one scene towards the end of the book, and you’ll know what I’m talking about when you read the story, is one that I will be thinking about for a long time.

Avid book lovers or those just looking for a good book now and again, look no further as this fictional novel will grab you and won’t let go even after you close the book.  So, if you know someone who is on the prowl for a good book or want to share a novel with friends, family or others in this season of giving, look no further!  A perfect, touching story for all of us prodigals!