End of the Roadie (A Mystery for D.I. Costello #3)

Title:  End of the Roadie (A Mystery for D.I. Costello #3)

Author:  Elizabeth Flynn

Pages:  304

Year:  2016

Publisher:  Lion Fiction

My rating is 4 stars.

Detective Inspector Angela Costello has a new case to solve.  A roadie on tour with superstar singer Brendan Phelan has been shot and killed in a back alley outside the venue of the latest concert with Brendan standing near the body.  Angela and her team quickly discover that the victim, Oliver Joplin, was not the best roadie as far as his work ethic; yet, his name repeatedly appeared on the hire sheet for each concert tour.  Why?  She also learns that Oliver was not friends with any of his co-workers; he was a loner with the exception of intermittent conversations involving Brendan.

Angela repeatedly questions those present at the concert hall and discovers a ticket scalping scheme in addition to one of the suspects being blackmailed.  Was Oliver really the intended victim or is someone trying to kill Brendan?  If Oliver was the intended victim, who cared enough about him and what he was doing to kill him?  The clues will keep readers guessing right up until the very end!

If you like British mysteries, then you will want to read this one.  It starts off slow, but don’t give up.  I initially had a difficult time getting involved in the story, but I kept reading and I’m glad I did.  The story does pick up and I was able to really revel in the comradery among all the various constables and inspector investigating the crime.  They were like a family.  The patience involved in solving this crime was enormous, going back again and again to question suspects.  I haven’t read the first two books in the series, but I don’t think that affected my ability to enjoy the mystery too much.  The writing was crisp and made the story nearly effortless to read.