The Remnant

Pages:272

Year: 2016

Publisher: Plain Truth Ministries Worldwide

My rating is4 stars.

The Remnant is a work of fiction set in a time of world confusion after all religion is banned and people unwilling to follow the “Federation” rules are moved to areas known as safe zones.  Basically, all their needs are provided for, but it is still like a prison nonetheless.  Grant is a 3rd generation geologist who is seeking the fellowship of other Christians in the area outside the safe zones known as The Wilderness.  When he and his family escape along with a few friends their journey is just beginning.

I have to say at times as I read I wasn’t sure exactly what the point of the story was or where it was heading. Maybe that was the design of the author.  The novel is futuristic and dystopian in nature; yet, it has the flavor of a mystery seeking an answer to the question “what if?”  As the small group encounters various people groups with their beliefs and no one owning a Bible at this time, it is amazing to see what might happen to society in general.

The ending surprised me the most as it leaves room for a possible sequel.  The novel is different from anything I have read recently and that can be good.  I enjoy being an eclectic reader.  The Remnant is a good story with some good insights into Christianity, along with the way many people interact with people of other faiths.  At times it seemed like a character or two was cynical or was quickly captivated by what they experienced.  At the end of the book, the author invites readers to leave comments or ideas on a facebook page that might be used in future books.  Either way it was interesting to see how characters responded to a society without any organized religion or a single copy of God’s Word. For me, I am glad to have the freedom to read the Bible, study and worship alone or with others!