My Sister’s Prayer (Cousins of the Dove #2)

Title:  My Sister’s Prayer (Cousins of the Dove #2)

Author:  Mindy Starns Clark and Leslie Gould

Pages:  366

Year:  2016

Publisher:  Harvest House Publishers

My rating is 5 stars.

Celeste Talbot is in love.  She leaves her family in England in stealth to meet her betrothed in the colony of Williamsburg in the year 1704.  He is a British soldier and has already left for the colonies, leaving Celeste to make her way on the next ship.  What Celeste doesn’t know is that her younger sister, Berta, is on the same ship!  After a rough sea voyage in which Berta almost dies, they arrive in the colonies.  However, in order to pay for their voyage, both women have had to sign indentured servant contracts.  The intent is for Celeste’s betrothed to buy her contract, destroy it and then marry.  When the women arrive in Williamsburg, they quickly discover Celeste’s fiancé doesn’t have the money to buy their contracts, so they are forced to work as servants.  Celeste faces many more trials and comes to depend on Spenser Rawling, who is an apprentice to a local carpenter.

Maddee Talbot and her younger sister Nicole have grown apart in recent years.  Nicole has chosen a path of drugs.  Maddee is a perfectionist.  Nicole is in a serious car accident and comes to recuperate at Grandmother Talbot’s home.  Grandmother is very wealthy and she has certain ideas about how things should be.  She hires an attractive physical therapist, Greg, to work one-on-one with Nicole.  Nicole is going crazy at her grandmother’s and begs her sister to let her finish her recuperation at Maddee’s house.  Maddee agrees as she longs to be close to her sister once again.  They also have some old letters from their Talbot ancestors to read, as well as try to make headway on the almost twenty year mystery brought to light over the summer (and covered in book one in the series).  There are two strange men hanging around Maddee’s house.  Nicole comes to depend on Greg as he helps Nicole recover.

I thought the parallels between the two sets of sisters and their respective romances were creative.  I would recommend reading book one in the series, My Brother’s Crown, first as it lays the groundwork for the present day portions of each book.  I liked the use of flashback to the Talbots Huguenot heritage.  I also appreciated that both elder sisters in the past and the present relied on God and His will, even though they made mistakes and poor choices as we are all prone to do from time to time.  Seeing both of the younger sisters realize their poor choices and maturing was also encouraging to read about.  The third book in the series, My Daughter’s Legacy, will be set in the present with flashbacks to the Civil War time period and I can’t wait to read that one!