The Cautious Maiden (The Everstone Chronicles #4)

Title:  The Cautious Maiden (The Everstone Chronicles #4)

Author:  Dawn Crandall

Pages:  305 (ARC)

Year:  2016

Publisher:  Whitaker House

My rating is 5 stars.

Violet Hawthorne is from a respectable family, but after the sudden death of her parents her brother turns the family inn into a brothel.  Violet gratefully accepts a job at the front desk at the Everston, a local vacation retreat/hotel for the wealthy.  She lives at the hotel as well and enjoys her job, but has no social life.  No one wants to associate with her because of her ne’er-do-well brother.  She meets Vance in her capacity as an employee at the hotel, which his father used to own.  Now Vance’s brother-in-law, Dexter, owns the hotel.  Violet thinks Vance attractive, but has heard the rumors about the love ‘em and leave ‘em Vance Everstone.  In her spare time, she writes and illustrates children’s books for her own pleasure; she shares them with no one.

Vance Everstone is indeed the man his reputation claims him to be.  At least he was before he gave his life to Christ.  Now, he is in the midst of trying to learn all about his father’s business ventures, live a Christ like life and protect Violet from her brother’s schemes.  Violet has no idea the depth of her brother’s offenses toward her.  His family is amazed and thrilled at the new man Vance has become.  Vance is not looking to get married soon, but circumstances might make him change his mind.

I have thoroughly enjoyed this entire series!  It is definitely on my keeper shelf for future generations or I might re-read them myself they were so good!  The writing is descriptive, the characters realistic and easy to get involved with and the interesting plots.  The two main characters in this story are so likeable.  In prior books in the series, Vance is a vain, shallow, callous and selfish man.  After a family tragedy, Vance takes a long look at how he has been living his life and doesn’t like the man he has become.  He turns his life over to God and grasps His transformative life power.  Vance is a new creation and tries to live as Christ would have him.  What a changed man!  I loved Violet’s innocence and Vance’s protectiveness of her as well as Vance being aware of temptation when he was around her.  His being seen reading his Bible or researching Scripture several times made him that much more respectable and admirable to me.  I am so looking forward to what this author has in store for readers next.