Eden Hill

Pages:  400

Year:  2016

Publisher:  Tyndale

My rating is 5 stars.

Note:  I received a complimentary copy for an honest review of this book from www.bookfun.org  The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility.

As I read the novel, I felt transported in my imagination to a time that seemed simpler in one sense and yet the same in another.  Simpler in that there were no electronic gadgets as there are today, which when we don’t control them by turning them off, can intrude into our lives.  It was a time when families sat down to dinner, read more, watched TV less, and the work ethic was exceptional.  The 60’s era had its own challenges that differ in some ways than those we face today.

In the fictional novel, we get swept into a small town called Eden Hill where people helped their neighbors and businesses closed on Sundays.  In the town, there are some people who turned out to have a surprising history to reveal.  There is an older lady who drives one pastor of a church crazy as she is the most contrary and always finding something to complain about to the pastor.

Towards the end of the novel it became clear to me that people learned more about themselves, especially when life was hardest.  Some found that the faith they thought they had needed to be shored up and put into practice with more love.  I so enjoyed getting to know the residents of Eden Hill right as the civil rights issues were coming to the forefront.  I remember so many themes that, while in the book were fictional, were part of my upbringing and made me more than thankful for the parents I was blessed to have.

Faith, family, neighbors, helping each other and more are some of those themes that will grab your heart and lift it up.  I think that anyone who reads the book will be reminded that there are ways families can draw closer to each other, which in turns makes neighbors closer and it just expands from there.  Family is really the foundation of our nation right after faith in a God who works all things together for our good, and He is still doing that today!