The Hesitant Heiress (The Everstone Chronicles #1)

Title:  The Hesitant Heiress (The Everstone Chronicles #1)

Author:  Dawn Crandall

Pages:  315

Year:  2014

Publisher:  Whitaker House

My rating is 5 stars.

Nathan Everstone is a wealthy bachelor who has just returned from a two-year adventure out West.  He left abruptly and everyone thought he would marry Nicholette Fairbanks upon his return.  She certainly thinks so.  However, Nathan has returned a changed man and has no intention of marrying Nicholette.  He has his eye on another heiress, but she wants nothing to do with him.  He can’t understand that as he usually has no problem charming women and gaining their attention.  He is determined to win her hand and she is just as determined that he won’t.

Amaryllis Brigham is practically a spinster at the age of 25.  She has no desire to marry, but upon being kicked out of music school she arrives at her wealthy aunt’s home and soon discovers she is heir to lots of money.  There is only one catch…in order to gain the money she needs to marry within one year of leaving music school.  Amaryllis doesn’t like all the parties and social gossip that goes on in “polite” society.  She was raised on a horse farm for fourteen years and longs to return there to start her own music school, but she can’t do that if she is broke.  Nathan Everstone seems to be everywhere she turns and he is getting under her long-held defenses.  Can she sell herself in marriage to gain her dream of a returning home and starting a music school?

This was one fantastic story!  I was pulled in from page one until the end.  The characters were likeable and I was emotionally invested in the outcome of the story.  Nathan now relies on God and His will for his life whereas before Nathan did whatever he pleased with no thought to anyone or anything other than himself to those who saw him publically.  Those who knew him best always saw the good in him, but since his return from Washington they have seen a different man.  His pursuit of Amaryllis was admirable.  He didn’t give up because he believed God wanted them to be together and that he was following God’s will.  Their romance was just a joy to watch unfold.  Great job Dawn!!  I’ve already started reading book two in the series, The Bound Heart, as I couldn’t wait to read Meredyth’s story.  Stay tuned for that review right here soon!