A Soldier's Revenge

Title:  A Soldier’s Revenge (A Will Cochrane Novel)

Author:  Matthew Dunn

Pages:  320

Year:  2016

Publisher:  William Morrow

My rating is 5 stars.

The main character is Will Cochrane a former soldier, spy and deadly assassin who worked for the government of the United States.  Now he is trying to adopt two sons of a former teammate and bought a house, planning on teaching.  That was until every facet of his life began to come apart and in ways that were apparently planned step by terrible step.  Will is on the run now trying to stay ahead of the cops after him while trying to reach the boys to reassure them of his innocence.

What an excellent novel that takes readers to the fictional world of retired spies.  There are multiple antagonists after Will; these are men who will stop at nothing to take him out, but first someone wants to make Will’s life a living place of suffering.  The people who come to Will’s aid will surprise you as they did me the further along in the story I ventured.

I thought the author did an excellent job staying on the telling of the story without any sexual references and minimal use of foul language.  I am finding it a rare author who stays focused on building a suspense-filled thriller without adding all the other unfavorable subjects.  Here is one author whose story was blood-pumping and filled with intrigue.

I looked up the author as he is a new one for me to discover he has written other books with the character Will Cochrane as the main character.  A Soldier’s Revenge is a standalone story that will keep you turning pages until you reach the exciting conclusion.  Even at the end of the book I wasn’t sure exactly where the author was going to take the main character in the final scenes.  Was this the end of Will Cochrane?  This is a must read for those who love mystery, suspense and thrillers with political intrigue.  Be aware there is minor use of foul language, but not enough to offend or detract from the suspense.