Beowulf: Explosives Detection Dog (A Breed Apart #3)

Title:  Beowulf:  Explosives Detection Dog (A Breed Apart #3)

Author:  Ronie Kendig

Pages:  320

Year:  2014

Publisher:  Barbour Publishing

My rating is 5 stars.

Timbrel Hogan is a dog handler whose dog, Beowulf, is trained to find explosives.  They are called in by the U.S. Army on a Special Forces mission in Afghanistan on a tip that some locals are working on Weapons of Mass Destruction.  Beowulf has never made a mistake in his prior searches.  However, this mission turns out to be a bust, making the whole team look bad.  Timbrel has faith in Beo, but no one else does.  They are sent home, but Timbrel knows there is something “off” about the place where the bombs were supposed to be and won’t let the matter drop.  In addition, she now has to deal with her celebrity mother who is inserting herself into Timbrel’s life, which irritates Timbrel to no end.  She also must cope with her feelings for Tony “Candyman” VanAllen, a member of the Special Forces Team.  She has been hurt deeply in the past and more than once, so her ability to trust is pretty much nonexistent.

Tony VanAllen likes a challenge.  From the moment he meets Timbrel, he accepts the challenge she unwittingly throws out to pursue a relationship with her.  He just knows she is the woman for him.  The problem is that she doesn’t know this!  He likes her impulsiveness, her toughness and her sharp tongue, but is she going to be able to let down her defenses with him?  On a return mission, Tony and Timbrel work together again.  This time there are life-changing results.  They still need proof of these weapons being manufactured and can’t seem to find it.  What does God have in store for them next?

This entire series is definitely worthy to be put on any readers’ keeper shelf!  With action, suspense, tension-filled scenes, faith and romance, readers will be glued to their seats from the beginning until the end of each story.  This one really showed Candyman’s faith in action, but also that he is human with real emotions and reactions that are not always Christ like just like me.  I liked his protectiveness and willingness to accept challenges.  Way to showcase our brave service men and women!  Thank you to all who serve our country.  The events in the story while fictitious could have been pulled from current headlines.  I am excited to read the next novel from this author as she is firmly on my “to read” list!